Monday, December 17, 2007

A Pound of the Eternal in a Paper Sack

I would like to buy three dollars worth of God please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don’t want enough of God to make me love a black person or pick crops with a migrant. I want ecstasy not transformation. I want the warmth of the womb not a new birth. I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack.


Tim Hansel, When I Relax, I feel Guilty (Elgin, IL: David C Cook Publications, 1979), 49.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful and sadly on-the-dot observation of our times.

Loved the title, kinda reminds me of Blake's Auguries of Innocence

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Jack

7:24 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi Jack,

I always like this snippet of William Blake's poem.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home