Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Passing on of the Internet Monk


I have always enjoyed the writings of the blogger, Internet Monk a.k.a. Michael Spencer and have posted extracts of his posts on this blog. His witty and sometimes cutting comments will be missed.

Christianity Today online April 6, 2010 10:23AM
'Internet Monk' Dies

Michael Spencer was best known for his 'Internet Monk' blog.

by Sarah Pulliam Bailey

Michael Spencer, who also went by iMonk or Internet Monk, has died, shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

Mark Galli and Spencer discussed "the coming evangelical collapse" last year. Several bloggers, such as Scot McKnight and Tony Kummer, have offered their memories of Spencer. Trevin Wax has listed his favorite blog posts from Spencer and offered a few words.

On the one hand, Michael was giving voice to some thoughts and questions I had wrestled with, but never fully articulated. On the other hand, his honesty was brutal, intense, and often made me uncomfortable.

What I eventually came to appreciate most about Michael – both from his blog and from personal contact – was that the center of his thought and ministry was grace: extravagant mercy and favor to undeserving, broken sinners.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger U-Liang said...

This is so sad.

I used to follow his blog and podcasts while I was still an undergraduate. Must say that he was very influential with me and helped formed my Christian outlook during those years.

Stopped following his blog after a while. But I came to know of his diagnosis via the grapevine.

Prayers for his family.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home