Thursday, October 11, 2007

Interesting Questions

While thinking about and preparing a lecture for a varsity student conference, I find myself wrestling with few interesting personal integrity questions.


•“Everyone is doing it, so why shouldn’t I?”

•“It’s not illegal”

•“They did it to me, so I’m going to do it to them.”

•“If I don’t do it, someone else will.”

•“Why follow standard operating protocols? Others don’t”

•“I am not supposed to but here’s something I must tell you”

.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Long said...

I struggle with the issue of "illegal" versus "immoral" as sometimes illegal is not immoral and legal is immoral or illegal is not immoral or moral is illegal.

4:09 AM  
Blogger kc bob said...

Seems that you have provided some definitions for us:

Hedonism •“Everyone is doing it, so why shouldn’t I?”

Premissiveness •“It’s not illegal”

Revenge •“They did it to me, so I’m going to do it to them.”

Rationalism •“If I don’t do it, someone else will.”

Comparison •“Why follow standard operating protocols? Others don’t”

Gossip •“I am not supposed to but here’s something I must tell you”

A few of tehse are a bit of a stretch.. I'm sure that someone can come up better words :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Kar Yong said...

How's the conference and workshop? Trust you have a good time there.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi paul,

I struggle with it too. There is a thin line between illegal and immoral.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi kansas bob,

you have provided me some good descriptive words. Thanks a lot.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi kar yong,

thanks to God and your prayers, the workshop, plenary lecture and the forum went well. I had a great time with 200 of our brightest and finniest students from almost all the universities in Malaysia studying medicine, law and teaching. I always enjoyed teaching and interacting with young men and women from the universities.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home