Friday, November 28, 2008

December is my Sabbath Month


December is my Sabbath month. Every year, I reserve December for a sabbatical rest from my hectic life. I know many of my friends think I am crazy to do so many things at one time. I am used to multitasking, one useful skill I picked up early in my medical and pastoral career. Personally, I feel that being bivocational is more demanding on a person. A Sabbath month is different from a sabbatical. I still continue to practice paediatrics and serve in ministry but I have planned to reduce my engagements to a minimal. For me December is a time for rest and refreshing in the Lord, reflection on the year past and the year to come, and to do some forward planning.

In December, I normally ask myself three questions:

(1) How have I loved and did I love well?
In this, I do not look at the things I have done this year; how many sermons or lectures I have given, how many retreats I have led, how many articles or books have I written or people helped in my medical practice. Basically these activities are incidental. I can tally them up and make an impressive curriculum vitae (CV). What I want to know is how have I loved God and other persons through these activities? And have I loved well? Do people perceive my love to be genuine?

(2) Where am I on my journey?
I shall be looking for spiritual and physical marker stones (Ebenezer) in this year. Where am I in my journey with God? Am I bearing the fruit of the Spirit? Am I being gentler with others and with myself? Am I growing old gracefully or am I getting grumpier in my old age? Am I helping others on their journeys too?

(3) How am I with God?
Have I grown closer to my Beloved or have I grown further apart? Have my activities done in His name distanced myself from Him? Have I learned more about my Lord? Do I appreciate Him for Himself as He has revealed to me or am I too engrossed with His gifts? Am I comfortable to being and resting in Him?

I am looking forward to my December Sabbath. Please pray for me as I enter it. Soli Deo Gloria.


.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Steven Sim said...

Hope I can catch up with ur on ur sabbath on mine too. ;)

http://www.stevensim.org/2008/11/penang-shooting-club-going-to-singapore/

Steven Sim

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kar Yong said...

Alex,

Hope you have a great month! So sad mine is coming to an end....Time seems to fly faster on sabbatical.

2:50 PM  
Blogger blogpastor said...

"I know many of my friends think I am crazy to do so many things at one time."

I was just asking Kar Yong, How does he do it - read avidly, practise medicine,do a doctrate, preach and lecture, write books, blogs?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Kar Yong said...

Blogpastor,
I think Alex has 48 hours a day - if not, his time seems to pass by much slower than ours. :-)

10:02 PM  
Blogger pearlie said...

Yes, have yourself a merry restful month :) I hope I'd inadvertently have one too ;)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Steven,

Hope to catch up with you in Singapore

12:14 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Pearlie,
Hope you will have a restful month too

12:14 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi Blogpastor and Kar Yong,

My secret is I make use of L-space.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home