Monday, November 01, 2010

Karen Zacharias on The Spiritual Discipline of Reading

Pastors or anyone who is not dead should be reading and updating their knowledge. Karen Spears Zacharias has something to say to pastors about the Spiritual Discipline of Reading.


This gnawing in my gut is more than indigestion — it’s the disturbing recognition that far too many pastors have abandoned the spiritual discipline of reading. And I’m not just talking about Bible reading, although I’ve heard my share of sermons this year that I suspect were pre-packaged and downloaded online.
I’m talking about reading a book besides the Bible.

I can count on one hand the number of pastors I’ve sat under in my lifetime that I know were avid readers. I remember them because their preaching had a depth and a substance that all others lacked. One of my favorites, Dr. Herb Anderson, would quote poetry from the pulpit. That was always a magical moment. It helped that Dr. Anderson lived in a university town. He had a lot of professors in his audience. They expected their pastor to be well-read. But out here in rural America where hardy people live and vote, pastors are more likely to quote a bumper sticker than they are to recite a poem they’ve memorized. 

read more

picture source

.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kc bob said...

Alex, the link to Karen's blog seems to be wrong.

Also, wondering why you have both word verification and moderation enabled.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Have corrected the 'mis'link :)

You are right, maybe both word verification and moderation is overkill. Being the focus of some type of comments lately.

8:15 AM  
Blogger kc bob said...

Thanks for correcting the link Alex. I read Karen's post but didn't get much more out of it than what you presented. As I read I remembered this verse from Acts 4:

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus."

I guess my thinking is that God uses a wide variety of people for his purposes - some highly educated and some not so much. I think that the main criteria for being used in the kingdom in any capacity is that we know Jesus.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

True, Bob. Know Jesus and be willing to follow Him.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home