Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ears Thou Hast Dug for Me

 

Psalm 40:6
aznayim karitha li , literally “ears thou hast dug for me”
“mine ears thou has opened” (KJV)
“thou has given me an open ear” (RSV)
“my ears you have pierced” (NIV)

The psalm poet was bold to imagine God swinging a pickaxe, digging our ears in our granite blockheads so that we can hear, really hear, what he speaks to us.

The primary organ for receiving God’s revelation is not the eye that sees but the ear that hears – which means that all our reading of Scripture must develop into a hearing of the word of God.

Eugene Peterson (2006), Eat This Book: A Conversation in the art of spiritual reading, (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 92)

.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger pearlie said...

Oh! This was one book I planned to get some time back. Thanks for reminding me. Time to see if I can an e-version :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Pearlie,

Have you read the other four books? I strongly recommend his series on spiritual theology.

Do you read more e-version now?

12:19 AM  
Blogger pearlie said...

No, I have not read the others. The one book that made me an Eugene Peterson fan was A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. I find his pastoral writings very encouraging and helpful.

Yup, I am getting into the e-book wagon. Find it most natural now to read it off my phone and tablet. But the downside is there are still not many e-books available in Malaysia. So I guess I have to wait. Which is good -- not buy and let it sit there, but buy when available/needed and then actually read it. I still have mountains of printed books not read!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home