Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Will You Ask to be Humiliated Daily?


I am amused and challenged by Richard Rohr’s comment that he has “prayed for years for one good humiliation a day, and then [he] must observe what [his]reaction to it” (128). He said this in the context that as he became more well known in his writings and in his ministry, there is an element of pride always hiding in the shadows. He adds that “spiritual leader” or “professional religious person” is “such a dangerous and ego-inflating self-image” (128). Spiritual growth, he emphases, takes place when we struggle with our shadow self.

I agree fully with the danger of the ‘ego-inflating self-image”. I am very lucky because the people I minister to and my patients and their parents are very affirming (I am a paediatrician). Asians in general gives a lot of respect to their elders especially if they are in leadership positions. These can be very ego-inflating and one of my constant struggles is with the sin of pride. It is so easy to give into your shadow self and believe your own hype. However, I will not go as far as Rohr to ask the Lord for a good humiliation a day. I guess I am not there yet and my ego-self-image is still very fragile. One day, I hope I will be able to do so.

How about you? Are you willing to ask God for a good humiliation a day? Can you take it if he answers?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AT said...

Dr.Alex seems like not only famous people have this problem, even ordinary people like us sometimes let pride get into our heads. Need to pray for God's help to overcome this short coming. Alwin

7:11 PM  
Blogger pearlie said...

A humiliation a day? Nope, I will never survive. As much as I'm also struggling with pride, I don't take humiliation well at all.

Pride is a tough thing to break. And if I asked to be humiliated once a day, I'd soon be proud of the fact that I can handle humiliation better than anyone else.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Alwin,

Yes, pride is a very prevalent sin and affects us all. And we all do need God's help to overcome it. I don't know humiliation will make us humble or not.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Pearlie,

I don't think I can survive a humiliation a day too. To fragile an ego.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home