Friday, May 11, 2012

Spirituality and Prayer



Prayer is subversive activity. It involves a more or less open act of defiance against any claim by the current regime. . . .[As we pray] slowly but surely, not culture, not family, not government, not job, not even the tyrannous self can stand against the quiet power and creative influence of God's sovereignty. Every natural tie of family and race, every willed commitment to person and nation is finally subordinated to the rule of God.

Eugene Peterson, Where Your Treasure Is

.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger pearlie said...

I like this quote - not anything I have read on prayer before - it is indeed a subordination to the rule of God. It dispels all the idea that it is merely just a communication line to God.

When my son was in Sunday School, I simply hated this song they taught the kids to sing - "prayer is like a telephone". I get it that they wanted to teach the kids that they can freely talk to God but it teaches a wrong concept right from the start.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Pearlie,

This quote shows an important understanding of prayer- 'it's not about me (or I)', a mistake we often fall into when we make God our buddy instead of revere Him as Lord and Master.

hope this finds you well :)

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home