Saturday, September 29, 2007

Is Blogging a Dying Art?

Christianity Today, 29 September 2007 gives us the tiding

The Death of Blogs
Well, some of them, anyway.
by Ted Olsen posted 9/25/2007 08:57AM

Tech researcher Gartner Inc. reported earlier this year that 200 million people have given up blogging, more than twice as many as are active.

"A lot of people have been in and out of this thing," Gartner analyst Daryl Plummer told reporters. "Everyone thinks they have something to say, until they're put on stage and asked to say it." Given the average lifespan of a blogger and the current growth rate of blogs, Gartner says blogging has probably peaked.

Which isn't to say that blogging is dead. Quite the opposite. Blog aggregator Technorati estimates that 3 million new blogs are launched every month. The site's tongue-in-cheek slogan: "Zillions of photos, videos, blogs, and more. Some of them have to be good."...

But some of us can't help ourselves. Nearly as common as the abandoned blog is the "final comments before I reclaim my life" post. Followed by "an update to something I said in my final comments." And, "Well, I couldn't let this story go by." And on it goes.

One of the best resignation letters came from Alan Jacobs in Books & Culture. "Right now, and for the foreseeable future, the blogosphere is the friend of information but the enemy of thought," he wrote in "Goodbye, Blog" (May/June 2006). A year later, in addition to writing a regular column for Books & Culture, the Wheaton College literature professor blogs thoughtfully at two different sites.

read the complete article here


.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger pearlie said...

Well, I must say that it has entered my mind several times. I have not blogged very long - one and a half years to be precise and I post every single day (that is my KPI ;) At certain, there is just nothing to say at all and meeting that one-day-one-post is so hard at times I just want to give up but I guess I stuck on and so far I am happy - not sure how long more this will last. But as I have said many times over, this blog has brought me much blessings - the least it had done is to encapsulate my daily spiritual (or not) thoughts and it makes me think more as I articulate it and apply the lessons in my life.

And God bless you all, I have a larger circle of friends, albeit in a way "virtual" though you are all real! haha

1:10 AM  
Blogger pearlie said...

At certain times, I mean.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never thought of quitting blogging, only of adding new ones, but now that you have seeded my mind with this thought.....I wonder if I'll join the 200 million people who have given up blogging. Nah......bad idea.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Kar Yong said...

Well, for a newly converted blogger....hmmm...will I join the 200 million?

Not for the time being....

10:49 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi pearlie,

I have enjoyed all your posts so it has been worth your while. However, about your virtual friends, are we real or virtual....

12:43 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi blogpastor,

I hope I have not being guilty of planting the seed in getting you to stop blogging.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi kar yong,

not when you have been giving us a fascinating glimpse of seminary life.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Paul Long said...

I don't see my blogging as a good example of what a blog should be ... for me it's more for personal therapy and for keeping in touch with friends for whom the cyber world is an integral part of their lives :-)

Though my gut feeling is that more and more people will case to blog as in posting longer posts on various subjects) as more will go the way of quick one liners using applications like facebook

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home