Friday, August 15, 2008

The Changing Face of Christian Communication

Quentin J. Schultze and Robert H. Woods (eds)(2008) Understanding Evangelical Media: The Changing Face of Christian Communication, Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic

As long as there has been a church, there has been Christian communication--"people of the book" bearing "the good news" from one place to another, persuading, teaching and even delighting an ever-broadening audience with the message of the gospel. Amid ongoing advances in technology and an ever-more-multicultural context, however, the time has come for a broad appraisal of the state of evangelical communications. Quentin Schultze and Robert H. Woods Jr. have assembled scholars from across the country to analyze and assess a wide range of media including
* radio

* popular music

* worship music and media

* television

* film

* periodicals

* books

* Internet

* church drama

* comics

* gaming

* theme parks

* advertising

* public relations

* merchandising

These shifting media, and the communications enterprise as a whole, are put in cultural and ethical perspective. Also addressed are Catholic and Jewish perspectives on the state of religious media.

This project is ongoing. For additional resources and further conversation, visit www.understandingevangelicalmedia.com.

.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the post. very interesting and relevant. Do you read all the books that you post for review? I'm figuring out if you ever sleep :)
I came across this interesting webbie using media to reach out to a hip-hop/rap/r&b culture. v.interesting. check out the video here. http://www.billygraham.org/graffiti.asp

blessings,
Jason

5:02 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Jason, how are you?

Actually I do sleep :)

Yes, I do read all the books I reviewed on this blog. I read more that those reviewed in this blog but I will only blog those which I believe in worth reading.

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Hi Alex, I am fine. Finally at rest after going through a 'garden of Gethsemane' experience. I am amazed you sleep :) Just kidding. But I think you probably have a very good way of managing your time or have boundless energy or both :)

I have too many books to read and that's probably either due to my slow reading or my ill-discipline to give time to it- probably the latter. This topic of media has been on my mind for a while. My thoughts/questions are: "How do we strike a balance?", "where do we draw the line?", "what are the biblical basis/principles governing how we draw the line" etc. Hope to pick this book up someday. Thanks for the review.

cheers,
Jason

1:03 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Jason,

I am glad you have found rest. These are good questions you are asking about the media and communication. I will be happy to hear some of your thoughts.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home