Friday, April 23, 2010

Help, Someone Hacked My Website!

Someone hacked into my website Kairos Spiritual Formation a few days ago and Google and Firefox showed this dreaded message everytime someone try to access my URL.


This is the first time I heard of an "attack page." An attack page, I found out is, when someone hacked into your website and install some malicious software that either changes your website or redirect your readers to other websites. I immediately emailed my website host server which immediately replied that it has nothing to do with them.

I next tried to find out the extend of the attack by using Google Webmaster Tools Diagnostic. It was very helpful in identifying all the codes that the hacker/hackers has inserted into my website. Then followed many tedious hours of deleting the said code from my website. Thank God that I was able to remove all these code because Google and Firefox restored access to my website.

I felt sad and disappointed that people will do something like that. It is like someone breaking into your house and desecrating it. Kyrie eleison.

.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kar Yong said...

So sorry to hear this, Alex. Hope the website is up and running again.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Yes, it up and running again. Was a hairy and scary event.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Tan Chee Keong said...

Congrats, you're famous enough to get hacked :) Seriously though, for your hosting company to not only fail to provide basic protection for your website hosted on THEIR servers, but to also deny responsibility, I think it's time to look elsewhere.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Paul Long said...

Glad that the website is up and running again.I would expect such attacks on political sites etc but one such as yours? Pretty senseless to me ...

5:44 AM  
Blogger blogpastor said...

It must be receiving enough traffic for others to want to hijack it and re-direct traffic to other sites.

My Norton indicated your site is still unsafe. Dont know what to make of it.

Hope you resolve it somehow. I faced a hack once too. Frustrating but good rest.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Hi Blogpastor,

Norton is trawling the websites looking for malware. The problem with Google and Norton is that they are very quick to put up warnings about websites that are infected.

However, it is a big hassle to get them to remove their warning after you have removed the malware. First you have to start an account with them. Then you have to prove that you own the website by inserting their code into your root directory. Then you have to reapply for them to re-evaluate your website. Finally you hope that they will not find any more malware and give you a green mark.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home