Thursday, June 09, 2011

A Prayer for Myself


O LOVE BEYOND COMPARE,

Thou art good when thou givest,
      when thou takest away,
      when the sun shines upon me,
      when night gathers over me.

Thou hast loved me before the foundation
      of the world,
      and in love didst redeem my soul;
Thou dost love me still,
       in spite of my hard heart, ingratitude, distrust.

Thy goodness has been with me during
       another year,
       leading me through a twisting wilderness,
       in retreat helping me to advance,
       when beaten back making sure headway.

Thy goodness will be with me in the year ahead;
I hoist up sail and draw up anchor,
With thee as the blessed Pilot of my future
as of my past.

I bless thee that thou hast veiled my eyes
       to the waters ahead.
If thou hast appointed storms of tribulation,
       thou wilt be with me in them;
If I have to pass through tempests of persecution
       and temptation,
I shall not drown;

If I am to die,
I shall see thy face sooner;
If a painful end is to be my lot,
grant me grace that my faith fail not;
If I am to be cast aside from the service I love,
I can make no stipulation;

Only glorify thyself in me whether in comfort
or trial
as a chosen vessel meet always
for thy use

The Valley of Vision

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home