Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sex and the Married Man

Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and movie star (the Terminator)’s infidelity hit the headlines.

Meanwhile Michael Hyatt shares some thoughts about protecting his marriage.

Here are three actions I take in order to protect my marriage:
  1. I invest in my relationship with Gail [Michael Hyatt's wife]. It is amazing to me that so many men are willing to invest such enormous spiritual, emotional, and financial resources in relationships other than the one they have. This doesn’t make economic sense. If you want your marriage to grow and flourish, you must invest in it. This means investing time—dreaming, laughing, listening, and crying together.
  2. I set specific boundaries. This may sound old-fashioned, perhaps even legalistic. So be it. I think our world could use a little old-fashioned common sense. Therefore:
    • I will not go out to eat alone with someone of the opposite sex.
    • I will not travel alone with someone of the opposite sex.
    • I will not flirt with someone of the opposite sex.
    • I will speak often and lovingly of my wife. (This is the best adultery repellant known to man.)
  3. I consider what is at stake. What story do I want my grandchildren to tell? This puts it all in perspective for me. Do I want them to be proud of my life’s story or embarrassed? Do I want to be remembered as a person who was loves his wife and is faithful to her? Or do I want to be the one who squandered his legacy in a moment of indiscretion?
What do you think?

.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home