Monday, February 13, 2012

Spiritual Mentors and Spiritual Fathers

One of my greatest joy last year was to reconnect with my spiritual mentor or should I say, spiritual father, Dr Philip Cheong (D.Min, BSc,Dip.Ed) via the Internet. Philip and his wife Catherine has been instrumentally in taking in a very young and very green medical student who just became a Christian under their wings.

Philip Cheong in centre (blue Hawaiian shirt)



They did not have to help me. At that time, Philip was the Ministry Leader for the Navigators for Malaya University (MU) and was very busy. He did not have to take on an addition burden like me who is from a different university, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). I guess I must have looked very pathetic so he invited me in and trained me together with his other students. He will schedule one-to-one Bible study with me after which we will have dinner with Catherine. He did not have  any own children at that time yet. After dinner, we have to wash the dishes. He insisted that discipleship involves how you wash your dishes. I will lather and wash and he will dry. Often he handed the plate back for another wash because it is not clean enough. I am remember the grin on his face when he demonstrated that in a well clean plate, you can rub it and it emit a clear sound. Discipleship needs a standard of excellence. It was tough training which include Bible memorization, inductive bible study and evangelism in the streets. He helped me to lay down a strong foundation for my spiritual life.

.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger PHILIP CHEONG said...

I feel so honoured. It gives me great joy to be considered as your 'spiritual father'.I am sure our Father in heaven is so proud of what you are doing in influencing others to seek His Kingdom and His righteousness.
* Philip Cheong *

9:07 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

Thanks, Philip. One day like you, I hope I will leave some spiritual legacy that will be honouring to the Lord.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Philip
You might not remember me, but you greatly ministered to me when I was a young Christian at UKM Bangi between 1977 & 1980. I would dearly love to keep in contact with you again. Can you email me at eleong.nz@gmail.com please?
(Note that some UKM Christians of that era have started a WhatsApp page and we would be trilled to have you join us as well!!)
Much blessings!
Edward Leong

7:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Alex
Thanks for allowing me to post my message to Philip Cheong in your blog. However in the event he does not get my message, would you be able to give me his email address please? Any assistance from you to help me me contact him is greatly appreciated!
Blessings!
Edward

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Alex

Philip has responded to me and we are in contact again! Thanks so much for allowing me to post in your blog.

Blessings to you & your family!

Edward

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home