Thursday, February 21, 2008

The End of HD DVD


Toshiba quits HD DVD business
Decision hands victory in DVD format battle to Sony-backed Blu-ray technology.

TOKYO (AP) -- Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at his company's Tokyo office.

The move would make Blu-ray - backed by Sony Corp (
SNE)., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and five major Hollywood movie studios - the winner in the battle over high-definition DVD formatting that began several years ago.

read more

Anymore want to trade a second hand HD DVD player and a HD DVD collection?


picture credit

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger kc bob said...

I think that by the time that I am ready for a new DVD player Blu-Ray will be pretty cheap :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

hi Bob,
I am sure with the demand, the price will fall steeply.

One thing irritates me about this changing formats. I bought a cetain movie which I love on video tape, then the format changed and I bought the same movie on laser disc (LD), then video CD (VCD), then DVD and now Blu-Ray. How many times do I have to pay royalties for the same movie?

12:56 AM  
Blogger kc bob said...

That is a great question Alex! Even Microsoft gives you a discount when you upgrade :)

1:18 AM  
Blogger doc said...

i wonder which movie this is??
(but it is most commendable that you bought the various formats in the original version)

2:15 AM  
Blogger Alex Tang said...

ho doc,

It is be so frustrating. I spent good hard earned cash to buy original products. Yet they keep changing the format and forced me to keep buying the new formats. I feel cheated and exploited for doing the right time. So much more tempting to buy pirated versions.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home